Skip to main content

Realities of Recovery

Right now I feel like a cartoon character that is standing still, but the world behind it is spinning to make it look like it's moving.
There's so much online about mental health. There are so many organisations dealing with it. But they all seem to focus on getting people started on recovery, or talking to people who have been recovered for a long time. What if, like me, you're in the middle of recovery?
There was one point that I thought I was recovered. I was still anxious, but my anxiety was a disorder and not going away. The depression though, seemed to be gone. Or so I thought. I have been having an increasing amount of depressive episodes, all increasing in intensity. This has been happening for around nine months, and it's getting to the point where I can't take it anymore. It's driving me nuts (figuratively?). So I have now made the decision to go back to a doctor to see if I can get antidepressants alongside my anxiety medication, that was once used for depression too, but doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore. I also went back to therapy last year.
As all this was happening, I was unbelievably frustrated with myself. Was I relapsing? Was I ever going to get better? And the more I thought about it, I realised that the actual recovery process itself isn't discussed. I suppose, when encouraging people to get on that path, you don't want to scare them with the realities with recovery. It's difficult. You are forced not only to see issues with yourself, but your past. Trying to change your habits and letting go of things is much more difficult then people imagine.
Right now, I have spent days in bed. I have been numb. I have just wanted to crawl up and die because we all die anyway. I've been convinced that everyone hates me.
And that means that I'm far from recovery, still. Which is frustrating, since I thought I was ok for a while. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure why I thought I was recovered. I think I thought all my bad feelings were related to a bad incident that's long gone now. I also don't have a normal to compare my mental health with, so I'm often uncertain. But I also don't hear a lot about other people's recovery struggles. Perhaps it's mentioned briefly sometimes. Recovery was hard, but I'm great now. I had relapsed but now I'm fine. Maybe, if it's ok, we can start sharing this mid recovery journeys and struggles. Maybe then I wouldn't have felt so alone. And I'm sure others feel the same.




Please feel free to start the discussion here or on my social media!
Come say hi;
Twitter; @justaoifethings
Facebook; Justaoifethings
Instagram; Justaoifethings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling Anxious

Having anxiety, I regularly tend to feel anxious. I've been asked if it's excessive or extreme worry or stress, but no, it's not. It's anxiety, it's very different. Right now, I'm feeling particularly anxious. When I say this to a person without anxiety, they assume I'm feeling worried or stressed, which isn't the case. I feel like there's something massive weighing my chest down. I'm making a conscious effort to breathe, because if I don't, I will forget to do so. I feel as if a snake is making its way up my throat, trying to twist my oesophagus while its head rests on the back of my tongue. My head is spinning. It goes from one thought to the next and back again in a couple of seconds. My mind is transfixed on one thing that I'm anxious on, and I know that anxiety is making me think it's worse than it is. (Or is it? I don't know.) My senses are heightened. Every noise is irratating, and I can feel things through just a bru

Unusual Coping Method

If you've read recent blog posts, you'll know I've recently finished my Leaving Cert (hence the erratic upload schedule). During it, I was surprising calm, and only cried over two exams. History failed me, unfortunately. But, I couldn't understand why I was so calm. Why wasn't Becky rearing her ugly head? When I thought about it, I realised something strange. All the exams I had done were a blur. I felt like I hadn't even done them. When I came out of an exam and was asked a question about the paper, I blanked. I just didn't remember. I was forgetting a lot of things in day to day life, and feeling numb. That's when I realised what I was doing, I wasn't being present. Feeling as if you're not present is a major symptom of anxiety, so I suppose it has become an unintentional coping method for me. I'd look in the mirror and think, Wow, I'm actually that person. That reflection is me! It's really hard to explain what this feeli

Working With Anxiety

Sometimes people hear anxiety and they (ironically) worry about it. People wonder how I possibly could work and deal with it. Will it effect my work? Will I be a bad employee? Honestly, no. I will probably be the best employee ever. My anxiety has led me to have an eye for detail and a striving for completion and success. When it comes to customer service, I know how it feels for someone to be terrified to be in a retail situation, so I will treat everyone I come across with a smile and sensitivity. People doubt me when they hear the word anxiety. But I've enjoyed all the work I've experienced in my life. I've worked in a cat sanctuary, a charity shop and with Cycle Against Suicide. I never panicked in any work situation. I've never worried any coworkers, neither have I gotten any complaints. Work, oddly, has not caused me major anxiety. Even if work does cause you anxiety, there's a way to manage it, whether it be working part time or from home. Work for me has