Skip to main content

#Triggered

Becoming triggered is a joke these days. In a meme I had hoped had died down, I see it revived constantly. It is to the point where people like myself, who have triggers, feel ridiculous for using the word. I struggled to get the words, "It triggered me" out of my mouth last week.
But I was triggered, and I was triggered badly. I won't get into why and how, because that is a long and personal story. But it caused my first panic attack in months.
Being triggered doesn't look like someone who is mildly uncomfortable. It doesn't look like someone who is mildly offended. It doesn't look like someone who is mildly agitated. For me, it looked like a person who couldn't breathe. Who couldn't move for over thirty minutes. Someone who hyperventilated and stayed in bed for hours because they were too scared to move. Someone who looked like this, even though this photo was taken hours after having a panic attack due to a trigger.


It's exhausting. I had a final exam the day after. I was tired, I was teary, I couldn't think straight, and I was completely spaced out and out of body. I am currently hoping that I didn't fail because of.
This reaction is not meme worthy. It makes the whole experience harder when people don't understand. People tell me that I'm being ridiculous, to get over myself. People on the internet would tell me I'm overreacting. Or, if idiots like Pierce Morgan would tell me to get over it, to man up.
Do people not realise how damaging that is? I hid from the people I was with at the time because I knew they wouldn't understand. My parents had to drive for two hours to make sure I was ok.
This, my friends, is not something that is amusing. It's not a meme. It's not fair that something I and so many others deal with is being trivialised to the point we can't use the terminology that explains what is wrong.
I wish I could say more. On one hand, I'm still recovering from my panic attack that was only days ago, and I'm so tired. On the other hand, this is such a simple concept that I don't see how it isn't common sense, and can't find much to say. People don't seem to respect what they don't understand, and ignorance seems to be ok these days.
I can't say much other than it sucks. Please don't do it.




------------------------------------------------------------
Welp, my first post in a month. Apologies, I had the maximum amount of exams possible in my semester finals. More regular posts will be returning though!
Come say hi;
Twitter; @justaoifethings
Facebook; Justaoifethings
Instagram; Justaoifethings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling Anxious

Having anxiety, I regularly tend to feel anxious. I've been asked if it's excessive or extreme worry or stress, but no, it's not. It's anxiety, it's very different. Right now, I'm feeling particularly anxious. When I say this to a person without anxiety, they assume I'm feeling worried or stressed, which isn't the case. I feel like there's something massive weighing my chest down. I'm making a conscious effort to breathe, because if I don't, I will forget to do so. I feel as if a snake is making its way up my throat, trying to twist my oesophagus while its head rests on the back of my tongue. My head is spinning. It goes from one thought to the next and back again in a couple of seconds. My mind is transfixed on one thing that I'm anxious on, and I know that anxiety is making me think it's worse than it is. (Or is it? I don't know.) My senses are heightened. Every noise is irratating, and I can feel things through just a bru

Unusual Coping Method

If you've read recent blog posts, you'll know I've recently finished my Leaving Cert (hence the erratic upload schedule). During it, I was surprising calm, and only cried over two exams. History failed me, unfortunately. But, I couldn't understand why I was so calm. Why wasn't Becky rearing her ugly head? When I thought about it, I realised something strange. All the exams I had done were a blur. I felt like I hadn't even done them. When I came out of an exam and was asked a question about the paper, I blanked. I just didn't remember. I was forgetting a lot of things in day to day life, and feeling numb. That's when I realised what I was doing, I wasn't being present. Feeling as if you're not present is a major symptom of anxiety, so I suppose it has become an unintentional coping method for me. I'd look in the mirror and think, Wow, I'm actually that person. That reflection is me! It's really hard to explain what this feeli

Working With Anxiety

Sometimes people hear anxiety and they (ironically) worry about it. People wonder how I possibly could work and deal with it. Will it effect my work? Will I be a bad employee? Honestly, no. I will probably be the best employee ever. My anxiety has led me to have an eye for detail and a striving for completion and success. When it comes to customer service, I know how it feels for someone to be terrified to be in a retail situation, so I will treat everyone I come across with a smile and sensitivity. People doubt me when they hear the word anxiety. But I've enjoyed all the work I've experienced in my life. I've worked in a cat sanctuary, a charity shop and with Cycle Against Suicide. I never panicked in any work situation. I've never worried any coworkers, neither have I gotten any complaints. Work, oddly, has not caused me major anxiety. Even if work does cause you anxiety, there's a way to manage it, whether it be working part time or from home. Work for me has