Skip to main content

#WeStandWithZoe

Media, you've done it again.
An article was released about a seemingly scandalous photo from the well known Youtuber, Zoe Sugg, also known as Zoella.
Zoe really needs no introduction. With a mass following around the world, she has a whopping 10 million YouTube subscribers (and counting), a successful blog, a gorgeous beauty range, two best selling books, has worked with charities and has brought awareness to anxiety disorders.
Of course, this level of success means that Zoe is in the limelight. Like anyone who is popular in a social career, she's under the scrutiny of the media.
Seen below is a photo Zoe uploaded on her snapchat, and, oh gasp, a tiny peek of underwear.
Of course, this article is released, seemingly trying to shame Zoe for being 'revealing'.
Don't get me wrong, if Zoe wanted to put herself naked on the internet, I wouldn't care. But, she is obviously trying to be shamed, and just because she's a woman.
With tabloid story after tabloid story, I noticed a sickening trend in articles written revolving Zoe. She is being shamed for something her male counterparts are being praised for.
If you watch vlogs, then you'll know that men are sometimes in underwear, but no one has made a fuss; so much so, there's no 'scandalous' tabloid about it.
Again, seen below, is a photo of Justin Bieber in his underwear, wearing a lot less than Zoe, but is being praised.
Typical sexism in media.
But this hasn't been the only case.
This week, my Facebook feed has literally been bombarded with ridiculous articles about Zoe's income. They're about how shocking her paycheck is and that people are outraged.
I'd like to point out that even if someone has aquire wealth and or fame, their income is still none of our business. Someone being in the spotlight does not give the media or the public any right to invade on their privacy.
Though, last year, Pewdiepie, currently the Youtuber with the highest subscriber count, was in the spotlight due to his income. Though, he was subject to guessing how much he earned, the articles I personally read were rather subjective. So why is Zoe, a Youtuber with 30 million less subscribers being attacked?
She's a woman.
She's a woman that is successful and media doesn't seem to like it. Any time a woman has worked to make something of herself, she is attacked.
As horrific as this is, a huge community of people have come to support Zoe. Thankfully, not all of our society are sexist and judgmental.
The main message to take away from this is to work hard and achieve your dreams, no matter your gender, no matter who you are. Even if someone attacks you, other people will always support you.
#WeStandWithZoe

~~
I post a new blog post once a week ^-^ Check back, comment or follow me on social media to keep updated :)
Come say hi!
Facebook: justaoifethings
Twitter: @justaoifethings
Instagram: @justaoifethings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unusual Coping Method

If you've read recent blog posts, you'll know I've recently finished my Leaving Cert (hence the erratic upload schedule). During it, I was surprising calm, and only cried over two exams. History failed me, unfortunately. But, I couldn't understand why I was so calm. Why wasn't Becky rearing her ugly head? When I thought about it, I realised something strange. All the exams I had done were a blur. I felt like I hadn't even done them. When I came out of an exam and was asked a question about the paper, I blanked. I just didn't remember. I was forgetting a lot of things in day to day life, and feeling numb. That's when I realised what I was doing, I wasn't being present. Feeling as if you're not present is a major symptom of anxiety, so I suppose it has become an unintentional coping method for me. I'd look in the mirror and think, Wow, I'm actually that person. That reflection is me! It's really hard to explain what this feeli

Dear Becky

Dear Becky; A new series I intend to continue. Becky is a big part of my life. Becky is my anxiety. If you have read my previous blog posts, you will know that naming my anxiety has given me great control and power, but Becky is still alive and can be strong. I find great comfort in writing things down. It helps me to think rationally, something Becky fights hard to prevent. Dear Becky will be my writing to Becky, to counteract the anxiety that she's called me. I will write to see what is real and what is Becky fuelled. Will you find it interesting? Maybe not. Unless you're interested in a mind corrupted with anxiety. I know my mental health is the most important thing, and if it helps me cope with life, then that's amazing. If someone reads this, and learns how to deal with their own mental illness or learns how to understand someone in their life with a mental illness, then even better. Dear Becky, You were strong today. I don't know why. But I didn't let

Counseling

If you know me at all, you will know that I have repeatedly stated that counseling is just not for me. I think I may have been wrong. Last week, I had my first ever positive therapy experience, after almost four years of being in and out of counseling offices. I decided to self-refer to my university's counseling service. I thought that I'd give it one last shot. I went to an occupational therapist, and I'd already used the coping mechanisms she suggested. I really didn't want that to be it. I didn't want to think that my current mental state was the best it was ever going to get. Although much better than it was, it's still not great. I was booked in within a month, not bad with a waiting list of over a hundred people. I went to the waiting room and I started to panic. My eyes were threatening tears. I texted my boyfriend. "I'm scared and I want to go home." What if this was going to be the same as before? What if I