Skip to main content

Dear Becky 2

If you are unfamiliar with my 'Dear Becky' series, a previous post entitled Dear Becky will fully inform you.

Dear Becky
You know what?
Fuck you.
Why are you so afraid of doing an experiment in class? You don't have the teacher you hate anymore.
Why are you afraid of going into that class?
The teacher is one of the most relaxed and laid backed teachers who actually gets a lot of work done - you should love him. You should be relaxed going into his class.
New people and new things aren't scary.
The prefect training is a pain in the face, but you're not missing important classes or classes that are hard to catch up on, like maths and history.
You have a biology test on Friday, and that's ok. You've studied for ages. You've looked at exams questions.
You studied, studied, and restudied chapters and are going to do the same before Friday and on Friday morning.
You'll be fine.
Maths is also fine. You're a little confused, but you've only started the topic today. You learned from your mistakes and understood the majority of the homework. You'll look at it again in the morning, and you'll be fine, you were ill today anyway. You're not stupid, you've been understanding maths the more you've calmed down. You're not bad at maths, and you're actually pretty clever.
You almost made me give up on tomorrow Becky, and that's not ok.
I'm going to school and I'm going to kick your ass, because you're being totally irrational.
I'm ok, nothing in school is actually scary like you believe, and I will survive another week.
Until next time,
Aoife

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cycle Against Suicide

An organisation set up by Jim Breen, where thousands of people cycle through Ireland every year, to break the cycle of suicide. Cleverly placed pun. Today, the lovely Mr Breen came to my school and talked to all seven hundred plus of us. In the back, wearing a disgustingly bright orange shirt in support (and feeling decidedly Dutch), I was struggling not to cry. Not that he was being morbid. He didn't delve into details of his depression, or any gruesome details of suicide. He spoke in such a way that was amazing. He spoke to us in a way that reached all levels of understanding in relation to mental health. He was able to educate those who have never experienced a mental monster, without boring them, or frightening them off the topic. Though, even with such sensitivity, he was able to touch those who had suffered mental illness. It was like a little nod to us. We knew we were understood, that he understood. For me, that is always extremely emotional. For someone to understa...

Dear Becky

Dear Becky; A new series I intend to continue. Becky is a big part of my life. Becky is my anxiety. If you have read my previous blog posts, you will know that naming my anxiety has given me great control and power, but Becky is still alive and can be strong. I find great comfort in writing things down. It helps me to think rationally, something Becky fights hard to prevent. Dear Becky will be my writing to Becky, to counteract the anxiety that she's called me. I will write to see what is real and what is Becky fuelled. Will you find it interesting? Maybe not. Unless you're interested in a mind corrupted with anxiety. I know my mental health is the most important thing, and if it helps me cope with life, then that's amazing. If someone reads this, and learns how to deal with their own mental illness or learns how to understand someone in their life with a mental illness, then even better. Dear Becky, You were strong today. I don't know why. But I didn't let ...

Friends and Mental Health

No, life is not like a novel. Unfortunately. So one person will not come and understand all your woes and make life better.  It's unfair to expect so much out of one person. One person cannot be perfect. One person cannot understand everything you're going through, even if they have the same mental illness as you, no matter how much they'd like to. I've met multitudes of people with anxiety and depression. Some of us understand eachother and get along, and some of us just don't. And that's fine. You cannot expect one person to fulfill your needs as a human. I'm not telling you that you need a million friends or have to be a social butterfly. Just a few, so you don't rely on one person. There's something about life today that makes us forget that others are humans, with emotions and needs. I learned the hard way that you cannot impose all your problems on one person. People tend to be kind and cautious when you're going through a tough time,...