Skip to main content

Man Up

Man Up.
I hate this expression with all my soul.
We see men cry, and people snap
Man up!
What's that supposed to mean?
Have no emotions? Be a rock?
What does it mean to be a man? What is masculinity?
Men have emotions. Men cry. Men want to look pretty (let's not make words gender specific, pretty, handsome, it's all the same).
Men get stigma for caring about their clothes. Men get stigma for being mentally ill. Men have depression. Men have anorexia. Men have anxiety. Men get panic attacks. Men get depressive episodes. Men have mental breakdowns. Men starve themselves. Men get abused.
Men kill themselves.
Men are human.
Men have emotions.
Men suffer like women do. No man or woman should tell a man to man up.
Because that's telling them to not be human. To not feel. To not think.
And that's simply not fair.
I remember seeing a man cry for the first time. That was odd for me, and it shouldn't have been. Why did media want to keep raw emotion away from me? Why did the male figures in myself express themselves only through rage?
Why wasn't I shown reality? What was wrong with reality?
Man up.
Pft.
Just be a human.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cycle Against Suicide

An organisation set up by Jim Breen, where thousands of people cycle through Ireland every year, to break the cycle of suicide. Cleverly placed pun. Today, the lovely Mr Breen came to my school and talked to all seven hundred plus of us. In the back, wearing a disgustingly bright orange shirt in support (and feeling decidedly Dutch), I was struggling not to cry. Not that he was being morbid. He didn't delve into details of his depression, or any gruesome details of suicide. He spoke in such a way that was amazing. He spoke to us in a way that reached all levels of understanding in relation to mental health. He was able to educate those who have never experienced a mental monster, without boring them, or frightening them off the topic. Though, even with such sensitivity, he was able to touch those who had suffered mental illness. It was like a little nod to us. We knew we were understood, that he understood. For me, that is always extremely emotional. For someone to understa...

Dear Becky

Dear Becky; A new series I intend to continue. Becky is a big part of my life. Becky is my anxiety. If you have read my previous blog posts, you will know that naming my anxiety has given me great control and power, but Becky is still alive and can be strong. I find great comfort in writing things down. It helps me to think rationally, something Becky fights hard to prevent. Dear Becky will be my writing to Becky, to counteract the anxiety that she's called me. I will write to see what is real and what is Becky fuelled. Will you find it interesting? Maybe not. Unless you're interested in a mind corrupted with anxiety. I know my mental health is the most important thing, and if it helps me cope with life, then that's amazing. If someone reads this, and learns how to deal with their own mental illness or learns how to understand someone in their life with a mental illness, then even better. Dear Becky, You were strong today. I don't know why. But I didn't let ...

Friends and Mental Health

No, life is not like a novel. Unfortunately. So one person will not come and understand all your woes and make life better.  It's unfair to expect so much out of one person. One person cannot be perfect. One person cannot understand everything you're going through, even if they have the same mental illness as you, no matter how much they'd like to. I've met multitudes of people with anxiety and depression. Some of us understand eachother and get along, and some of us just don't. And that's fine. You cannot expect one person to fulfill your needs as a human. I'm not telling you that you need a million friends or have to be a social butterfly. Just a few, so you don't rely on one person. There's something about life today that makes us forget that others are humans, with emotions and needs. I learned the hard way that you cannot impose all your problems on one person. People tend to be kind and cautious when you're going through a tough time,...