Skip to main content

Self Care

A commonly asked question;
Is self care selfish?
And I say it till I'm blue in the face. Never is self care selfish.
Even if you don't suffer from a mental illness, everyone needs self care.
When I was young, I always put everyone before myself. I thought that, being from a somewhat religious family, that this was the right thing to do. I would keep my worries to myself so I didn't burden people, and let people use me as a doormat, so I wouldn't hurt their feelings. But then, as a little Aoife starting to spiral into depression, I realised something.
Keeping everything to myself was unhealthy. Putting everyone's needs ahead of mine just wasn't safe. Though, I still wanted to help people. So I continued trying to put everyone else in front of me for a while, until I realised I wasn't helping anyone.
Turns out, I couldn't benefit anyone without helping myself first.
I suppose this is when I first discovered self care. It's when I learned to say no to people, and to value my own health above others. I found that my self care was having time to myself. When I was that age, it was usually reading or writing or playing a game on the DS (though now, at nearly eighteen, my self care still includes those things).
Sometimes self care is tricky. I might spend hours alone because I need some me time, but this can sometimes worsen my mood. Self care isn't falling asleep to sad music after hours of crying. I feel that there's this stereotypical image of self care, a woman sobbing into a tub of ice cream.
Self care isn't self pity. Self care is taking a step back and looking at yourself.
Am I exhausted? Am I stressed? Am I burnt out?
Then take a break. Watch a silly youtube video, go for a walk, rant about your feelings to your friend, watch some ASMR.
Turn off your phone, don't worry about impending messages or emails, and take some personal time.
You are your own guardian in this world. You are your primary protector. If you don't take care of yourself, how can anyone do it for you?

~~
Hope this article can help! I post a new blog every Wednesday!
Facebook: justaoifethings
Twitter: @justaoifethings
Instagram: @justaoifethings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cycle Against Suicide

An organisation set up by Jim Breen, where thousands of people cycle through Ireland every year, to break the cycle of suicide. Cleverly placed pun. Today, the lovely Mr Breen came to my school and talked to all seven hundred plus of us. In the back, wearing a disgustingly bright orange shirt in support (and feeling decidedly Dutch), I was struggling not to cry. Not that he was being morbid. He didn't delve into details of his depression, or any gruesome details of suicide. He spoke in such a way that was amazing. He spoke to us in a way that reached all levels of understanding in relation to mental health. He was able to educate those who have never experienced a mental monster, without boring them, or frightening them off the topic. Though, even with such sensitivity, he was able to touch those who had suffered mental illness. It was like a little nod to us. We knew we were understood, that he understood. For me, that is always extremely emotional. For someone to understa...

Dear Becky

Dear Becky; A new series I intend to continue. Becky is a big part of my life. Becky is my anxiety. If you have read my previous blog posts, you will know that naming my anxiety has given me great control and power, but Becky is still alive and can be strong. I find great comfort in writing things down. It helps me to think rationally, something Becky fights hard to prevent. Dear Becky will be my writing to Becky, to counteract the anxiety that she's called me. I will write to see what is real and what is Becky fuelled. Will you find it interesting? Maybe not. Unless you're interested in a mind corrupted with anxiety. I know my mental health is the most important thing, and if it helps me cope with life, then that's amazing. If someone reads this, and learns how to deal with their own mental illness or learns how to understand someone in their life with a mental illness, then even better. Dear Becky, You were strong today. I don't know why. But I didn't let ...

Friends and Mental Health

No, life is not like a novel. Unfortunately. So one person will not come and understand all your woes and make life better.  It's unfair to expect so much out of one person. One person cannot be perfect. One person cannot understand everything you're going through, even if they have the same mental illness as you, no matter how much they'd like to. I've met multitudes of people with anxiety and depression. Some of us understand eachother and get along, and some of us just don't. And that's fine. You cannot expect one person to fulfill your needs as a human. I'm not telling you that you need a million friends or have to be a social butterfly. Just a few, so you don't rely on one person. There's something about life today that makes us forget that others are humans, with emotions and needs. I learned the hard way that you cannot impose all your problems on one person. People tend to be kind and cautious when you're going through a tough time,...