Skip to main content

Domestic Violence and Social Media

I'm going to be very forward with this one.

What is with all this #imwithjohnny and #imwithamber bullshit?

Domestic violence is a very serious matter, so why is social media acting like it's a sports match? Why are there teams, why are people arguing with what happened?
I'm rather infuriated, people are acting as if this is a soap.
I have no clue what happened behind closed doors. I'm not going to say that domestic violence did or didn't take place, because how could I possibly know?

I'm scrolling through social media watching incredulously as people debate over these peoples lives, as if they know them or if they were there.
People calling her a gold digger and a liar that's trying to bring down Depps career (though unfortunately, as I saw tweeted today, abuse on women doesn't always damage a career beyond repair. Chris Brown, anyone?)
Others are convinced he did it.

I don't usually discuss celebrities and media because I think there's better things in this world to be worried about, but what frustrates me is that normal people online have turned a very serious issue into a game of who dun it.
An allegation of domestic violence is a serious one, and one that should be taken seriously and investigated, no matter your social status. It's seriously not up for debate, it's not a television drama.

Has twitter made people forget that these beings are human and have feelings?
That your comments have an effect on their already fragile emotional and mental health?
--
All opinions are welcome, but asked to be respectful
I blog once a week, about mental health, personal experiences and occasionally current affairs
Check back or follow media below ^-^
Facebook: justaoifethings
Twitter: @justaoifethings
Instagram: @justaoifethings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cycle Against Suicide

An organisation set up by Jim Breen, where thousands of people cycle through Ireland every year, to break the cycle of suicide. Cleverly placed pun. Today, the lovely Mr Breen came to my school and talked to all seven hundred plus of us. In the back, wearing a disgustingly bright orange shirt in support (and feeling decidedly Dutch), I was struggling not to cry. Not that he was being morbid. He didn't delve into details of his depression, or any gruesome details of suicide. He spoke in such a way that was amazing. He spoke to us in a way that reached all levels of understanding in relation to mental health. He was able to educate those who have never experienced a mental monster, without boring them, or frightening them off the topic. Though, even with such sensitivity, he was able to touch those who had suffered mental illness. It was like a little nod to us. We knew we were understood, that he understood. For me, that is always extremely emotional. For someone to understa...

Dear Becky

Dear Becky; A new series I intend to continue. Becky is a big part of my life. Becky is my anxiety. If you have read my previous blog posts, you will know that naming my anxiety has given me great control and power, but Becky is still alive and can be strong. I find great comfort in writing things down. It helps me to think rationally, something Becky fights hard to prevent. Dear Becky will be my writing to Becky, to counteract the anxiety that she's called me. I will write to see what is real and what is Becky fuelled. Will you find it interesting? Maybe not. Unless you're interested in a mind corrupted with anxiety. I know my mental health is the most important thing, and if it helps me cope with life, then that's amazing. If someone reads this, and learns how to deal with their own mental illness or learns how to understand someone in their life with a mental illness, then even better. Dear Becky, You were strong today. I don't know why. But I didn't let ...

Friends and Mental Health

No, life is not like a novel. Unfortunately. So one person will not come and understand all your woes and make life better.  It's unfair to expect so much out of one person. One person cannot be perfect. One person cannot understand everything you're going through, even if they have the same mental illness as you, no matter how much they'd like to. I've met multitudes of people with anxiety and depression. Some of us understand eachother and get along, and some of us just don't. And that's fine. You cannot expect one person to fulfill your needs as a human. I'm not telling you that you need a million friends or have to be a social butterfly. Just a few, so you don't rely on one person. There's something about life today that makes us forget that others are humans, with emotions and needs. I learned the hard way that you cannot impose all your problems on one person. People tend to be kind and cautious when you're going through a tough time,...