Skip to main content

How Modelling Helped My Mental Health

I've always been advised to stay away from modelling. With my anxiety, people were sure that my body issues would become worse and develop into a disorder. This was so much so that I've rejected an offer from an agency before. Though, this year, the UCD fashion show was in aid of a mental health charity, so I decided to audition, and to my surprise, was given a place.
It turns out, that modelling in this environment, is extremely healthy. There was a huge diversity of races, ethnicities, sexualities, body types and personalities. Never once did I feel inferior to anyone else, or that anyone was more or less beautiful than I was.
The organisers were lovely and so encouraging (shout out to Jenny and Baker). It was a rare instance that I felt that I can, rather than I can't. Their manner of constructive criticism was perfect, that my chronic anxiety didn't take it the wrong way.
For once, I felt OK about doing something extracurricular. During my secondary school career, I never did anything but work. I was always far too anxious and depressed. For once, I was excited to spend my time in something else, and was comfortable. I was made feel confident about my appearance and my abilities.
I was also placed in the most amazing group, and, surprisingly to me, I made friends. This is something I always found near impossible, but for people to like me was bizarre but welcome, and again, confidence enducing. The support group we have created is something I am currently treasuring and hoping that I won't lose.
For something I thought might be detrimental to my mental health, it did quite the opposite. Quite simply, it made me happy. Going into depth, it taught me a lot to have self-love and to not put myself down so quickly. It showed me that I can, rather than I can't, especially also after just speaking in front of two crowds of three thousand for Cycle Against Suicide. It taught me that all bodies are beautiful, even mine. It taught me that everyone has insecurities. It taught me not to be judgemental. It taught me that taking pride in your appearance because you enjoy doing so isn't vain. It proved to myself that I can make commitments. It showed me that not everybody is bad. It showed me that even with anxiety and depression, I can do cool shit.








----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry for being MIA - I was doing this awesome show (that was in aid of Jigsaw)
But I usually post every week, so check back for more!
Come say hi;
Twitter; @justaoifethings
Facebook; Justaoifethings
Instagram; Justaoifethings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cycle Against Suicide

An organisation set up by Jim Breen, where thousands of people cycle through Ireland every year, to break the cycle of suicide. Cleverly placed pun. Today, the lovely Mr Breen came to my school and talked to all seven hundred plus of us. In the back, wearing a disgustingly bright orange shirt in support (and feeling decidedly Dutch), I was struggling not to cry. Not that he was being morbid. He didn't delve into details of his depression, or any gruesome details of suicide. He spoke in such a way that was amazing. He spoke to us in a way that reached all levels of understanding in relation to mental health. He was able to educate those who have never experienced a mental monster, without boring them, or frightening them off the topic. Though, even with such sensitivity, he was able to touch those who had suffered mental illness. It was like a little nod to us. We knew we were understood, that he understood. For me, that is always extremely emotional. For someone to understa...

Dear Becky

Dear Becky; A new series I intend to continue. Becky is a big part of my life. Becky is my anxiety. If you have read my previous blog posts, you will know that naming my anxiety has given me great control and power, but Becky is still alive and can be strong. I find great comfort in writing things down. It helps me to think rationally, something Becky fights hard to prevent. Dear Becky will be my writing to Becky, to counteract the anxiety that she's called me. I will write to see what is real and what is Becky fuelled. Will you find it interesting? Maybe not. Unless you're interested in a mind corrupted with anxiety. I know my mental health is the most important thing, and if it helps me cope with life, then that's amazing. If someone reads this, and learns how to deal with their own mental illness or learns how to understand someone in their life with a mental illness, then even better. Dear Becky, You were strong today. I don't know why. But I didn't let ...

Friends and Mental Health

No, life is not like a novel. Unfortunately. So one person will not come and understand all your woes and make life better.  It's unfair to expect so much out of one person. One person cannot be perfect. One person cannot understand everything you're going through, even if they have the same mental illness as you, no matter how much they'd like to. I've met multitudes of people with anxiety and depression. Some of us understand eachother and get along, and some of us just don't. And that's fine. You cannot expect one person to fulfill your needs as a human. I'm not telling you that you need a million friends or have to be a social butterfly. Just a few, so you don't rely on one person. There's something about life today that makes us forget that others are humans, with emotions and needs. I learned the hard way that you cannot impose all your problems on one person. People tend to be kind and cautious when you're going through a tough time,...